The Watona Park is located in the south central part of Madelia along the Watonwan River. The park has a flower filled entrance on the east side of the park. This garden is maintained by the Madelia Garden Club and the painting in the center was done by a high school student several years ago. The soft ball and baseball diamonds are located beside the flower garden. A playground and soccer field are also nearby.
Within the park we have a tan shelter and smaller stone shelter used for gatherings of many sorts. The large shelter holds about 120 people while the stone shelter holds about 32 people. The stone shelter also has a large fire ring that was built by the WPA. Reservations for the shelters may be done by contacting the City of Madelia.
The Watonwan River, home of many fish, has a canoe launching pad that is used regularly. There is a playground that was installed by our local Women of Today with the help of volunteers from the community. Sand volleyball courts are available for use near the playground. A disc golf course runs throughout the park and is used by many people.
Our campground at the park is used throughout the spring, summer, and fall months. We have a variety of camping accommodations including electrical, water, and sewer hookups as well as tenting sites.
Access to the Madelia Golf Course is on the west side of the park.
In the winter the park is used for cross country skiing and some snowmobile activity.
We are very lucky to experience the beauty of the Watona Park and encourage others to visit.
To make a campground reservation, please call 507-380-9440.
Park Shelter Reservations
Tan (Large) Shelter
- 120 person capacity (18 picnic tables)
- Electric and water available
- Multiple picnic tables
Stone (Small) Shelter
- 32 person capacity (4 picnic tables inside; 4-5 picnic tables outside)
- Electric available – no water
- Multiple picnic tables and large, outdoor fire ring
- $25.00 fee + $25.00 deposit for Stone (Small) Shelter
- $35.00 fee + $35.00 deposit for Tan (Large) Shelter
- If paying by check, please write two separate checks for the fee and the deposit
- Payment must be paid in full two weeks prior to your reservation
Please call City Hall to make a reservation.
Please click the link below to learn more about Park Shelter Procedures.