The Madelia Street Department is responsible for the maintenance of the city streets. If you have any questions or need to report a problem, please contact City Hall at (507) 642-3245.
City of Madelia Street Department employees have been properly trained in the event of tree trimming within the city. Please use caution when driving in the tree trimming areas and stay back as the trees are being trimmed. Notices will be posted on the City of Madelia website as to when and where tree trimming projects will occur.
Seal coating consists of applying an asphalt emulsion to an existing bituminous surface and then applying an aggregate material on top of the emulsion. Seal coating helps rejuvenate pavements that have become hard and brittle along with helping provide a waterproof layer.
Seal coating is done in a multi-step process. The Street Department prepares the streets to be seal coated by doing minor hole patching, street repair and thoroughly sweeping and cleaning the surface. An asphalt emulsified oil is sprayed on the surface of the existing pavement. A cover aggregate is then quickly applied as to soak into the oil. The cover aggregate is compacted into the asphalt emulsion using rollers. A final sweeping of the aggregate is done after a minimum of 72 hours.
During the patching and prep work, streets, or portions of streets, may be temporarily closed. Throughout the seal coating process, traffic is restricted until the aggregate is applied and parking is prohibited on the streets being coated. Any parked cars left on the street will be towed to driveways or around the block in the event that they are not moved. In most cases, the streets due for seal coating will be marked off. Streets will be available for parking after the aggregate is applied and the necessary compaction is complete.
Beginning in the spring, the streets are cleared of winter debris using the Street Sweeper. The streets are swept regularly to keep the city streets clean. Please remember to stay a safe distance from the Street Sweeper and use caution when passing and driving near the Street Sweeper.
- The City of Madelia will declare a snow emergency when there is an accumulation of three or more inches of snow on city streets.
- No vehicles are to be parked on any city street during a snow emergency period until the street has been completely cleared of snow from curb to curb for the entire city block.
- There will be no parking in the business district during a snow emergency between the hours of 1:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. or until the street has been cleared from curb to curb.
- Any vehicle in violation of the Snow Removal Ordinance (§70.261) may be ticketed or towed at the owner’s expense.
- Snow emergencies will be announced on the City Website, Police Department Facebook Page, and Code Red Notification System. Sign up for announcements through the Code Red link.